Great managers are not born. They are made.
Finally, practical, management training built for the non-profit and public sectors.
Our management training program provides you with proven training and tools to effectively recruit, motivate, develop and supervise your staff. It goes beyond just theory – we work with you to apply the skills you learn to your unique situation.
Act fast. Space is limited!
Who you are
You are someone who is currently, or will be, managing people. You are eager to learn. You want to become more effective at managing staff. You have an open mind and are willing to try new things.
Laridae’s management training program is designed specifically for managers in the non-profit and public sectors and caters to people at all levels.
What is the format?
- Six, 3-hour classroom sessions covering the core modules of effective management. See the course modules.
- Six, 1-hour 1-on-1 customized training sessions in the weeks following each classroom session
- Pre-work case studies from real world situations that help you learn and apply techniques in your environment
What makes this program unique?
We go beyond just theory and the classroom by helping participants implement what they learn. During our 1-on-1 training sessions, individuals learn how to overcome their specific management challenges so that the results stick.
What are the dates?
Peterborough, Ontario – Spring 2019: Six sessions starting in April 2019.
- April 10, 2019
- May 8, 2019
- June 12, 2019
- July 10, 2019
- August 7, 2019
- September 11, 2019
What does this training program cost?
The cost is $2,995 + HST per participant.
Where will classes be held?
The current dates will be offered in Peterborough, Ontario. Location will be circulated to registrants.
We are excited to roll this out across Ontario. If you want us to come to your region, let us know.
Is financial assistance possible?
Yes! Certain organizations and individuals are eligible for financial assistance. Please contact us for more details.
Who are the instructors?
- Jonathan Bennett, Founder and CEO
- Amanda English, Vice President
- Danielle Rocheleau, Vice President
- Laura Gaughan, Senior Associate
- Jenn Harrington, Consultant
Interested, but have questions? Contact us.
Laridae’s management training program consists of the following modules:
- Introduction to Management– This module introduces participants to the art of management and identifies the key skills that managers need to be successful. Participants will learn time management techniques and how to run effective meetings. Concepts covered: management vs leadership, model for managing, change matrix, time matrix, prioritization scorecards, getting things done.
- Recruiting– A “bad” hire can hurt an organization—from between 3-10x that employee’s salary in lost time, training and opportunity cost. This module teaches participants how to effectively recruit participants and onboard them so that they are effective in the shortest amount of time. Concepts covered: Skills vs knowledge vs talent, interview best practices, external vs internal candidates, onboarding best practices.
- Setting Expectations and Delegation– This module teaches participants communication best practices for them to work through their staff to get things done. This includes not just setting expectations, but also the feedback and follow-through needed to achieve the desired results. Concepts covered: Expectation best practices, stretch goals, SMART, goal setting, verbal upfront contracts, tools for effective delegation, 1-on-1 meetings.
- Finance for Non-Finance Managers– This module teaches participants how to draw insights from financial numbers and use them to make informed decisions. It is suitable for audiences of all experience levels. We assume no prior knowledge and build up skills over the course of the class. Concepts covered: The three financial statements, analyzing an organization’s financials, creating and using an operating budget.
- Motivation– Studies show that morale in an employee declines sharply after their first six months and continues to deteriorate for years afterward. This module teaches participants what they can do to prevent that decline and keep their employees engaged and motivated. Concepts covered: AMP motivation model, capitalizing on strengths, managing around weaknesses, giving praise, four tendencies.
- Developing People– This module teaches participants how to develop staff in a way that lets them define a career that fits the needs of both the organization and staff member. Organizations can increase retention and focus their training budgets on areas that will have the greatest impact. Concepts covered: Coaching and mentoring, effective relationships, educational development, career pathing, improving engagement, succession planning.
Cross Organizational Training
Cross Organizational Training is ideal for organizations that are looking to provide a broader management exposure to their employees than just the perspective of their organization. Participants in these sessions are at similar stages in their careers, but come from simiar sized organizations from various sectors. This allows participants to speak frankly during the lessons and enriches the learning experience as the managers realize that despite the differences in their sectors, many of the challenges they face are universal.
Private training is ideal for organizations that would like the training delivered to their management teams only. They must have ten or more employees that wish to participate in the management training program. Courses can be held at Laridae, at client facilities, or an offsite location.